Fallowfield Township
9 Memorial Drive, Charleroi, PA 15022
724-483-8700  |  724-239-2700
  • sign
  • alta_vista
  • twp_building
  • cougars
  • fire_dept
  • veteran_honor_roll
  • pavilion

Welcome to Fallowfield Township

...a great place to call home.

Located just 30 minutes south of Pittsburgh, dissected by two major interstate highways, and situated on Interstate 70, one of the busiest East/West travel routes in the nation, Fallowfield Township could easily be considered a "hub" of Southwest Pennsylvania.

There is extensive road construction planned at the Route 481/I-70 interchange beginning in 2014 and work on the Bentleyville interchange getting underway the following year. This will make travel safer and the many medical, educational and business centers of Pittsburgh and Morgantown more easily accessible.

Fallowfield Township is home to 4,351 people (as of 2010). While driving through its 22 square miles, take notice that there are still many farms and rural areas within the Township's borders. There are historical landmarks that tell the history of the Township and the Alta Vista Industrial Park – conveniently located off the Bentleyville exit of I-70 that consists of 256 acres and is currently home to several world-renowned businesses – is an indication of the future to come.

A Little About Our History

Incorporated in 1781, Fallowfield was the sixth of the original thirteen townships in Washington County. Originally much larger, the territory of Fallowfield Township was reduced to its present limits by the formation of Somerset Township in 1782, Pike Run Township on April 23, 1792, Carroll Township on September 30, 1834 and Allen Township on June 14, 1858, however it is still one of the largest townships in Washington County. The earliest villages were Ginger Hill, Jonestown and Lover. Charleroi Borough was not formed until much later.

Farming was the main occupation in 1781 and remained so for the next 150 years. The land was well suited for raising rye. Fallowfield Township residents were in the heart of the Whiskey Rebellion in the 1790's and numerous stills were confiscated in 1794 when President George Washington sent troops to enforce the whiskey tax. By the 1800's, with the development of roads, schools and coal mines the township prospered. As late as 1870 the township had a tannery, two grist mills, one distillery, two manufacturers of sorghum, five sawmills and one extensive vineyard.

The township's fire department was chartered in March 1964 and is headquartered on three acres at Gothheld's Corners, which is the center of the township. The company started out with one old used pumper. In 1994, the fire company started an extensive rebuilding project that included erecting an additional double bay garage to house its equipment. A 1750 GPM Class "A" pumper was purchased in 1996 to replace the department's old one. The purchase was made possible through a fire tax enacted by the board of supervisors.

Open Supervisor's Position

It is with a heavy heart to announce that newly elected Supervisor, Ronald Large, passed away suddenly as a result of an accident on July 30, 2018. Fallowfield Township wishes to extend his family our deepest sympathies.

At this time, the Township is accepting letters of interest to fulfill his Supervisor position through the remainder of his term or until December 31, 2019. Letters of interest will be accepted until the end of business on August 20, 2018.

Multi-Municipal Comprehensive Plan Study

Fallowfield Township along with the Boroughs of Charleroi, North Charleroi, Speers, and Twilight have joined to develop a Multi Municipal Comprehensive Plan Committee. This had been 4 years in development along with applying for and obtaining the necessary grants for funding this study. Meetings will be open to the public, each municipality has two voting members and the project is being headed by Patty Folan of GAI Consultants, Inc. Any questions can be directed to Ms. Folan at 412-399-5069 or p.folan@gaiconsultants.com.

Click here to go to the website for this project.

Fallowfield Township Economic Development Strategy

The 2014 Fallowfield Township Board of Supervisors tasked the Fallowfield Township Planning Commission to work with Delta Development and HRG to research and determine deficiencies in regards to local development. The results of the study is in their final report dated September 2014 and PowerPoint presentation.

Planning Commission has also been meeting with developers and builders to entice building growth within the township. They are also working with MIDA to further develop Alta Vista.